We talk a lot about Internet security, and for good reason. Using the Internet safely is everyone’s responsibility. Here are some common sense tips that can help you surf the Web safely:
– Only shop with trusted vendors. Make sure that the URL you typed into the status bar is correct.
– Look at your website status bar. You know it’s secure when it says https: // . That little letter ensures that you are surfing safely; if you don’t see that s, don’t enter any personal information into that site.
– Use a third-party escrow service to pay for items if you aren’t sure about the vendor but really want to purchase an item. That extra amount of money can really go a long way.
– Purchase and constantly upgrade your Internet security service. Never, ever, ever surf the web without it.
– Don’t purchase items while logged into insecure or public Wifi hotspots. Information sent on these networks can be viewed by third parties and you are taking a big risk by sending information like credit card numbers.